Friday, August 13, 2010

A bit of art for the baby

When we decided on the baby's room theme, I was planning to paint letters to match it, like, Eiffel Tower on the A, that sort of thing. Then Tammy mentioned wanting some children around the world stuff to hang in there, and I said, "Well I can do that." It became much more involved of a project than originally planned. First I made sketches of the children:







Then painted some precut wooden people popsicle sticks:






Then did some woodcutting to make the hats and hair:







Then I decided to cut my own front piece to be the Earth, and used my Dremel to round the edges off:






Then I painted the Earth:






Then put it all together and we have the complete result (drumroll please):







Look closely to see our family on top of the world... :)

I'm still debating whether to paint her name on it, or make it a clock (it does have 24 people so a clock would work well). Still, this has turned out far more impressive than I had originally imagined, and I hope she will treasure it as much as I enjoyed making it.



2 comments:

Blessed Mama said...

This is impressive! I've told several people about it already. And how I teared up when I saw the faceless Chinese girl. :) This is definitely a work of art!

Dr.Lizard said...

OMG Josh! Did you design and paint the earth yourself? That is incredible! There is some real talent in there.... i encourage you to pursue more work in this direction... brad